Main Forum
Post in the correct area!
Warning
When posting something on the forums be sure to post it in the correct area! DO NOT reply to a thread unless your reply has something to do with that particular thread. There are designated areas for just about anything you want to talk about or ask...

News Second Spring 2019 Upgrade

4 replies
Votes:
+1,408
Contributor
CONTRIBUTO...
Admins
Owner
Wings and I are rolling out the second major update news to the server so far this year. We will be installing new SAS drives sometime in the next couple weeks. I just ordered 4 900GB drives for about $200. They are scheduled to be delivered around Feb 8 – 15. I'll put them in as soon as I can. converting from SATA to SAS will help with two things. #1 is fixing corrupt and failing existing drives. #2 SAS drives are generally tougher than SATA. So hopefully we wont have to replace the sas drives any time soon. We have such a high volume of data transfers on the old drives I've already had to replace 1 of them. More techy info here for those interested: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163214816847
PILOT-FULL.gif
Posted Feb 5, 19 · OP
Votes:
+1,408
Contributor
CONTRIBUTO...
Admins
Owner
Also, this is how wings and I discuss server issues. You guys are the badgers, I'm the mushroom and wings is the snake.:
PILOT-FULL.gif
Posted Feb 5, 19 · OP
Really Lik...
List
Undo
Votes:
+1,408
Contributor
CONTRIBUTO...
Admins
Owner
Our new drives have arrived. We have to take the server offline for an undetermined amount of time. Wings has already began the prep work. There is a lot of data that has to be transferred between machines to allow us to perform the update. We will be utilizing our backup server to assist us in the process so unfortunately all of our servers will be completely down for this process. I also have to physically uninstall and install the new drives which will take a little time. If all goes well the plan as of right now is to start on everything tonight 2/13/19 around 6:00pm EST. Wings and I will get as much as we can done tonight and hopefully we'll be back online by tomorrow morning. I will post any major updates or plans here. Anyone participating in the valentines build competition see my post here: https://pilotdan1985.enjin.com/forum/m/16375445/viewthread/32517426-valentines-build-contest
PILOT-FULL.gif
Posted Wed at 04:03 pm · OP · Last edited Wed at 16:06
Votes:
+1,408
Contributor
CONTRIBUTO...
Admins
Owner
Update: We ran in to a couple issues this morning with the move. The backup we created over the night last night wasn't usable. Good thing wings is the magic man he is because he tested it before we installed the new drives and was able to catch the problem before we had a massive problem. We are now trying something else but we're having to delete a lot of unused data (dynmap cache) which wings said is "Some estimated 2e+9 files it has to scan before it can delete it" - to hopefully save some time. We will keep you all updated. New plan is to swap the drives tomorrow morning.
PILOT-FULL.gif
Posted Thu at 06:52 pm · OP
Votes:
+1,408
Contributor
CONTRIBUTO...
Admins
Owner
We made some progress today! The backup and moving of data over to another drive ended up taking way more time than we though. The new drives were installed today and the server is being restored on to the new drives right now. Theres a chance we could be back up and running tonight if everything else goes as planned.
PILOT-FULL.gif
Posted Sun at 03:17 pm · OP
NoticeNotices